Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Taking Google Docs on the Road!

Well, I did it. Since I've been stuck at home, learning all this new technology stuff, I was just itching to take what we've been learning and hit the road, so-to-speak, and see if I could apply what we've learned in one of my classes. I chose my 6th grade because the darling stinkers are little brainiacs, and I knew they would be able to troubleshoot any glitches we might face. I wanted my first "distance learning" lesson to be simple, so I opted to create a Google Docs powerpoint to teach, coincidentally, Google Docs. Luckily, I did a test run with my 15 year old the night prior. I somehow had missed the very important detail that in order to view a Google presentation, one must have a Google account. After working through the bugs, I held my breath and went for it today. What a great time! Just as I suspected, my 6th graders were awed and extremely enthusiastic. Since most already had Gmail accounts, they could simply link to my presentation. How fun it was to chat with them and step into their world. They, too, thought it was pretty cool to chat with each other all at once and with their teacher. The presentation went off without a hitch, and they were able to watch the YouTube videos I had inserted, as well as the notes and graphics. Important to note, of course, is that even though I took control as presenter, the students were capable of "fiddling" with the presentation if they so chose, so I was careful to stipulate that they were to keep their mouse from clicking on my show. Anyway, now I've got them itching to use Google Docs, so I'm hoping that a bunch of you have some ideas for collaboration projects, appropriate for their age.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! I bet everyone was energized and excited to participate. In the future - you can publish your presentation to the web and they can view it without having a gmail account - only knowing the URL you publish it to.

    Wow - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete