Monday, March 23, 2009

Tools of the Trade

I honestly can't recall the last time I took a class where each week I was able to take what I learned and apply it to my classroom immediately. From the presentation sites, to word processing, and data applications and spreadsheets, each tool gave me the chance to really familiarize myself and to figure out the best way to include these in my classroom. I particularly found the word processing tools helpful since my students use these the most and yet have had the most issues with them at school. I have all but dumped Ms Word and replaced it with Google Docs for word processing and presentations. Specifically, I had my 6th grade collaborate on a presentation, describing their fondest memories of St. Ann's. They found the project both exciting and challenging. In addition, the videos we watched in class opened my eyes to both the possibilities and challenges I face as the tech coordinator and instructor at my school.

Although some didn't like the traditional textbook format, I found it extremely helpful. I particularly appreciated how clearly laid out the chapters are and how informative the textbook is. Since I found myself quickly submerged in this field, I have been eager to learn but have been extremely overwhelmed and at a loss of how to best present this material to my staff. The textbook will be a terrific aide to me as I assist in formulating in-services and will also be of service when I begin constructing our next five-year plan. I have also already utilized many of the websites cited in the textbook into my classroom. Specifically, I have bookmarked www.internet4classrooms.com as well as several on Webquests. On the Internet 4 Classrooms, I have shared various tutorials with the students to give them an opportunity to move at their own pace when learning about such things as Hyperstudio or Powerpoint. I also found the chapter on media literacy very interesting and so have bookmarked it as well. Thanks to Delicious, I have created two accounts so far - one for my 5th Graders and another for the teachers. The students have already figured out how to log in and utilize the site with no help from me. On a similar note, I just had a meeting last night with a parent volunteer who is going to redo our website. My brain is already exploring the popular links I can add to our site for the kids to use.

In addition to the textbook, I found the self-evaluation piece very interesting and another great resource and guide for me. I have to admit that after taking the survey, I felt like an unqualified idiot, but everyone has to start somewhere, I guess. Again, I appreciate anything that gives me concrete ways to improve what I am doing. And although I have never had the need to evaluate software before requesting a purchase, the unit on software evaluation was a real eye-opener for me and emphasized the importance of looking at key elements before I make my next purchase.

Of everything taught, I have to be honest in admitting that the one area I will probably use the least are the various search engines. I appreciate the fact that so many exist and that there are other options, but I'm a victim of habit and automatically resort to Google, mainly because it's what I grab first and typically has what I need. At the same time, however, I know that I will visit the educational sites, such as Nettrekker since I am always searching for lesson ideas and resources.

1 comment:

  1. I think we all are creatures of habit - but when we see something that can move us forward in a manner that we feel is easier or more exciting we tackle it. I'm glad you are finding items in the class and hopefully the program to be professionally enriching as well as a way to excite and engage your students. Keep up the good blogging and insightful reflections.

    ReplyDelete