Monday, July 13, 2009

Week Three-Online Tools Review

Like many others, my curriculum is almost composed entirely of online tools. Because of cost and issues with our server, I have looked more and more to cloud computing and finding effective, inexpensive teaching tools. My school does, however, still purchase software occasionally and five years ago purchased the Kidspiration and Inspiration software. Kidspiration, along with Bubbl.us and Exploratree.org offer three great options for creating and sharing graphic organizers.


I've worked with Kidspiration many times. The software is an excellent source not only for creating graphic organizers but also for the writing process. Students have the option of creating a graph from scratch or from numerous templates on a variety of topics. In addition, Kidspiration includes tons of pictures, or students may import one of their own. I like how easy the software is to use, and students of all ages enjoy the software. In addition, once students have created their graphic, they can select the outline option that automatically creates the outline of their graphic, thus making it easier for students to move into the writing process. Of the choices, I think Kidspiration is the best, but it also isn't cheap.

I also viewed Bubbl.us and Exploratree.org. Both have the capabilities of creating brainstorming graphic organizers, but I liked the huge variety of templates that Exploratree offered. Bubbl.us appears to be very useful when you want to create and print a quick organizer. The students could easily log in, and as a large group, the teacher could walk through the process step by step. Last year my school purchased a mobile lab, and this would be a wonderful site to use in the classroom with the laptops as a way to teach students how to take notes. Exploratree, unlike Bubbl, allows the user to either create his own graphic or select one from a list. In addition, each type of graphic organizer is explained and examples are given. Since I don't have very much experience with organizers, I really liked this site. Not only does it offer organizers, but the site itself is a sort-of brainstorming resource for teachers. Looking at the options gets me thinking how I might use them in my lessons.

During in-service this fall, I am charge of a technology day with my colleagues. I can't wait to show them these sites and add them to our school's Delicious account as resources. I'm pretty sure right now the teachers create their own organizers or copy ones from textbooks. They'll love using this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment