Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lesson Two Reflections

Like everyone, I want our curriculum to consist of resources I can take directly to my classroom. That's why I'm excited about Voicethread. In the past, I have had to combine various softwares to accomplish what I want the students to do. Voicethread allows me to combine that visual with audio AND allows others to comment directly to each other's work. I have used other software that more or less let's students create slideshows and narrate them, but until now I hadn't seen one that allows the comment feature. And to be honest, until I browsed the projects on Voicethread, I hadn't even thought about the comment feature. But now, of course, my mind is zipping in overdrive, coming up with all sorts of ideas. For example, I have my 4th graders create Hyperstudio shows of fictional vacation destinations, and as a finale, I have them view and rate each show on paper and award a prize for the top-rated. I could now also have them summarize visually their destination and have the students make comments directly on Voicethread. One of the shows on Voicethread was the author's top five favorite cartoon theme songs. I could also have students create their "top five" of something and share with others for their opinions. And then as a culminating project, have them create a survey on SurveyMonkey for the actual data collection. How fun!

My frustration when learning all this new, great stuff is how to take it back to the teachers and, most importantly, how to get them to embrace it as much as I do. I am presenting to my faculty next Friday and Monday, and I'm still wondering what to present. Keeping in mind everything that Garr Reynolds is emphasizing this week about presentation, I'm wondering if I should create a Powerpoint. Perhaps I need to begin by doing exactly what he stresses and use the analog approach - get away from the computer and really think about what it is I want the teachers to take away from my time with them. In the past I have done sessions with them, and although I can tell they're enthusiastic and curious, in the end I don't observe any of them using what I've taught them. There still is the overall attitude that because I am the computer teacher, I, alone, teach computers. On the one hand it's great that our students are given the chance to come to the lab twice a week and have that time, but on the other, it's given the teachers a rather easy out, especially for those who aren't real comfortable with technology.

So, all of you out there in the teacher world, if you were to spend two mornings with me, learning technology, what would YOU want to hear and see? And don't tell me silence... THAT is not an option...

2 comments:

  1. At the beginning of last year at inservice we had a presentatoion by a technology savvy person- It was totally useless for the teachers. Most of them had never heard of the stuff let alone how to use it. I know there is SO much exciting stuff out there, but I think the average teacher is overwhelmed by it-or just does not have the time to look into it. Anyway my point it. Show one thing- show how to sign up for it -show examples of how to use it. Then have regular sessions after school to help and introduce new technologies to the teachers. Slowly intoduce to the newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara,
    I think you are experiencing what you and I probably felt in the language arts classroom. The perception was that writing belonged only in our classrooms, and teachers were unwilling to have their students write. Since you are now in the technology department, the role of teaching technology is in your hands. This is obviously and unfortunate reality, but it is what we face on a daily basis.
    I think one of the keys to introducing technology to those who are unwilling participants is to follow what Sandy suggested. How often has something new been introduced, but then never revisited throughout the year. It would be nice if administration would put an emphasis on teachers using the technology introduced, and ultimately force teachers to get involved. I think your task is to get teachers at a computer to actually use what you are talking about. I don't know if that is a possibility, but it is obvious that if teachers can be doing what you are teaching while you are teaching it, you can address issues as they arise.
    Just realize that you are not alone in your struggles. You can only present what you feel will be well-received, and then the teachers will have to decide what to do with the information.

    ReplyDelete