Friday, October 23, 2009

CEd0535: Session Two - Wikis at Work

It would be amusing to go back through my blogs and count the number of times I made comments, like "I never realized..." Seems I'm repeating myself constantly. This week is no different, and once again, I'm on a totally new path in my curriculum. I'm quickly discovering that when it comes to the stuff we learn, I'm not content to wait til next year to include them. Instead, I stop everything I'm doing now and shift totally.

Like many others in class, I'm sure, I had understood wikis and how they are used, but I never considered actually incorporating a wiki for my school where students could go and add information. I have created a Ning, but really I'm only using it as a blogging tool, not a place where student research could be posted and where other students could go and add to or make corrections. I guess I just never thought about the potentials of a wiki. Now that I'm aware, my mind is exploring all sorts of wikis we could create. For one, I could create a wiki that focuses on saints. One of my big complaints with our curriculum is that each grade level explores saints and often repeats the same activities over and over again. Too redundant. If I created a wiki, however, the students could do their initial research in Grade 3 or 4 and then when they have to repeat their saint research, they could explore further and simply modify the wiki. Or perhaps they will select a new saint and then check their saint on our wiki to see if the information is accurate. In addition, they might find more interesting pictures or video on which to expand. This project could really be cool. There are lots of websites out there that focus on saints, but most of them are geared toward an older age level. There's not much there that is directed towards kids. Our wiki could fill that niche.

I'd like to start this immediately. As stated above, I don't like to delay long when I have an inspiration. The difficulty this time, however, is that I think I do need to first develop a policy for publishing on the Internet. If we want this wiki to be useful, we're going to have to go public, and doing so without getting parental permission first may send some of my parents into orbit. I will also need to take necessary measures to ensure that my students don't disclose personal information. This means not only monitoring them but also making sure they really, really understand why they should not do so. I also then need to get talking with my teachers to see how we could make all of this gel. Ideally, I'd like to create the wiki and monitor it and then have the actual religion teachers in charge of its use. Since Wikipedia is about the only wiki my teachers are aware of, I'll need to spend time inservicing them.

3 comments:

  1. Kara,

    Being in the beginning stages of incorporating Wikis into my own classroom, I wonder if it might be plausible for you to create the Wiki to be used "in house" only for a period of time. By doing so, perhaps that would be the first step in getting parents to be open to the idea. Once the body of work starts to build, perhaps then would be the time to open the wiki to a larger, global audience. I could simply be pulling ideas out of my backside, but I think those controls could be in your hands as the administrator of the wiki. I think with wikis and blogs, that is how I would like to start, and then incrementally build on the size of the audience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ryan that you may want to start with a more private wiki seeing as how you'll be in the beginning stages - take small steps right? I have to say that I too have been inspired right away. I've just started a wiki for the creation of a forensic science "text" to use in class as we currently have none. I've decided to use the school Moodle to originate the wiki as it's private and already district approved and then hopefully move it out to the wikispaces (global version) at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wiki on saints? Can I come teach at your school? That sounds awesome! I had my seventh graders use a closed wiki on wikispaces.com. I guess anyone could technically search for it, but the only people who could post were my kids. And, I don't think that anyone really went looking for it. If you want the parent letter I used, just send me an email.

    ReplyDelete