Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ced0540: Week Five

This week had us looking at various data resources as well as Google Trends. What I have discovered, more than anything, is that I need A LOT more time to explore these sites. Whereas some websites pull me in and have me playing immediately, data websites take an enormous amount of time to figure them out. I think it would have helped greatly to actually have a purpose in exploring these sites. For example, the National Archives site might have been more of an attraction to me if I was actually searching for data on my relatives. As it is, I know very little about my ancestors so didn't even know where to begin. The CDC websites, on the other hand, were more interesting in that I was able to find some topics that caught my attention. I've also come to the conclusion that many of these data sites don't do enough in designing a website that is visually appealing and more user friendly. Perhaps these institutions assume that those looking for data are all number geeks who don't need pretty visuals. Clearly, I'm not one of those. This is one reason I did actually like the DPI's website which used large pencils to link to the reports.

The next assignment had us looking at Google Trends. The more we play with Google and its apps, the more I fall in love with this amazing application. Google Trends is an interesting app, but I'm not sure how best to use it with my students. I think taking a look at what people are Googling is interesting, but how does this help me in education? While researching Google Trends I did discover some interesting blogs that talked about Google Trend's usage. A couple struck me. For those who are interested in getting their blogs read, Google Trends gives bloggers the topics to incorporate into their postings to raise the liklihood of their blogs being searched. Another blog described how the hot topics in Google Trends could be used to raise interesting questions about any culture around the world. I'd like to find out more practicle ways like these to make use of this application.

No comments:

Post a Comment