Monday, July 19, 2010

Ced0599: Week Three: THIS IS IT!!!

My project is in! Let the dancing begin!



Not that I'm trying to rub it in, mind you, but the relief is overwhelming and twistingly enough, a bit sad. In the end, I have to admit that I'm very proud of the work I've done for my final proposal, simply because I opted to do something that I will undoubtedly use in September, and I really made the effort of pulling a variety of resources and Web 2.0 tools together to make the project fun and educational. As I noted previously, the more I developed my project, the more the focus became clearer and the direction to take easier. I think I have developed a very teachable unit on Internet Safety for my 5th graders, a unit that is age-appropriate and strongly supports our school's emphasis on differentiation of instruction. Students will watch videos, navigate through our Ning, post their opinions and knowledge in the Forum section and provide feedback to each other. The lesson's activities are also fun, including a computer game I found today on standing up to bullies which will give them some tools to deal with bullying. As 5th graders, many of these students will opt to attend the public school next year, so the more I can instill in them, the better.

Having completed the project, I'm also trying to think of ways that I can share my project with others. I'm also hoping that in doing so, I will see what other schools are doing in teaching Internet Safety skills to middle schoolers so that I can polish mine even more.

And that, really, is the final thought. This project will never end which, for me, is a good thing. I had already completed my 60 hours having not even touched the whole virtual world experience, so I'm fired up at the prospect of developing that aspect as the school year begins. And most of all, I'm excited for my students who will not only have fun but who will have to work very hard and will, hopefully, improve their critical thinking and writing skills.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, Kara!

    I understand your feeling of relief! Thank you again for being such a great friend and classmate. I wish you the best of luck, and have a great time in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the project success. I think it is a must to share the inteernet safety within your school and elsewhere to help promote safety. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing (overachiever!) ;) I can't wait to spend time looking at everyone's projects when I get mine done. I do have to mention that we have an opening in your position at our elementary and middle school in Eagle River in case for some odd reason you feel the need to move up north on a whim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Kara! We can relish together :) The work will definitely be worth it when you can use your project in such a great way. I hope that a bunch of us decide to "walk" in December. It would be so nice to meet one another and check in to see how the projects are coming along. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kara, yes you are rubbing it in!!! I'm close but have so far, if you know what I mean. I agree with you, it is all exciting. It is great to be done and even better to know that there is something resourceful that I can put into place in just a few weeks. There will certainly be a lot to talk about in December! Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealous!!! I can't wait to see your final project as you always do such wonderful work. I'm not going to go as far as to say that I will be sad when it's over because it will be awfully nice to have my life back but in reality I must admit that I will miss having you all to bounce ideas off of and to get inspiration from. You guys have all been great and it has been a blessing to be paired with so many passionate and quality instructors. Good job and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, lady! Love the dancing monkey. I would love to hear how things went with your kids. Fino ad alora!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work here and throughout the program. Congratulations on all you have done and will do with your focus on students.

    ReplyDelete