Thursday, March 4, 2010

CeD0550: Week Four - Assessments

Okay, more confessions from a marginal teacher...
This week we've been examining teacher-centered versus student-centered lessons and authentic assessments. I've quickly come to see that much of my classroom teaching time has been about me. Now normally that wouldn't surprise me since much of my life is about me and discovering ways that others can make me happy, lol. Actually, that's a big, fat lie - My life is centered around my kids with the goal of getting them places and involving them in activities that will ultimately have me praying to Jesus for peace. Anyway, that's a whole different blog. Back to the classroom. I used to assume that because my classroom was a classroom full of little bodies that logically everything I did was about them. My role in the classroom was to teach them. I've now come to realize that my thinking is faulty and a bit reversed. It's not so much my role to teach as it is their role to learn. It almost sounds like the same thing except by simply rewording my thinking, my focus shifts quickly as do my lessons. I remember when I used to teach high school english that my lesson writing consisted of pages of notes. My daily goal was to get as much stuff from my notes onto the students' papers. I really didn't give a rat's behind if they understood, nor did I necessarily provide them adequate means of sucking my information from my papers onto theirs. I simply spoke, and they wrote. Now, in all fairness, I didn't do this everyday. THAT would make me the worst possible teacher around. But when it came to disseminating information, that was my primary method.

After what we've done this week, however, I'm doing what I can to shift that focus. In some ways, a huge burden is lifted from my shoulders. It's okay if my students don't know EVERYTHING I do about computers. That's not my purpose. What is my purpose is to teach them skills so that their brains will know how to explore and fend for themselves. Does this make any sense??? How to put it? Rather than spend an entire school year teaching them how to use Word, for example, I want them to investigate for themselves and in doing so, become proficient in problem-solving. I also want them to be able to think creatively so that they will want to branch out and discover and play. Finally, I want them to be able to communicate and collaborate with each other. In order to do these things, obviously I cannot just stand in front of them and talk at them all day long. They have to do for themselves.

I have had so many parents comment and question how it is that I went from a high school english teacher to a computer teacher. After all, I went to college in the 80's, so, for me, technology was the dinner roll to my meat and potatoes education. What I tell people is that somewhere along the line I discovered that I was mechanical and enjoyed playing and problem-solving. I honestly can't remember how I evolved, but I know it had everything to do with exploring and satisfying my curiosity. No one taught me computers. I taught myself. I want that same experience for my students, so this is why I need to shift from my leading all discussions to guiding them to discover for themselves. This, however, is no easy task, and the time it will take to plan these lessons and assessments will be enormous. But for once, I think I'll feel completely satisfied that I've truly done my job as an educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment