Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ced0555: Week One

This week we investigated professional portfolios. Quite honestly prior to my research, I had never understood what an eportfolio was all about. Now that I've started looking, I'm finding it interesting the various types of portfolios in existence and I'm starting to think how I will want mine to look. So in addition to looking at samples, I'm trying to find information and recommendations for creating my own. One such site is 5x5 Model for Electronic Portfolios contains a rubric structure for the various types of portfolios as well as graphics and multimedia that can be added as well. This is a great resource when in the brainstorming stages of designing the portfolio. In addition, How to Create Your Own Electronic Portfolio takes the 5x5 model and breaks it down even further. What I like about this site is that each section contains a "you will know you're ready for the next stage when" bullet summary that acts as a sort of checklist for that section. In this age it makes such perfect sense to establish an online portfolio. When I see examples that date back to the early 2000's, I also get that feeling of being in the dark. I had no idea that this was a happenin' thing for so long, and I wonder how many employers look to the eportfolio when considering candidates. There's talk all over the news these days about getting one's resume together and tricks to applying for jobs, but I have yet to see one discussion focus on the eportfolio. Do we have a bunch of employers out there who are not aware that these exist and are still glued to the ol' hard copy? Seems that way, doesn't it?

Like anything else, I guess my big question is how much is enough? Some of the sample portfolios I viewed were real sketchy while others were what I'd call over-kill. I can't imagine an employer, for example, trying to link through pages and pages of sites. So I guess one has to think about the purpose of the eportfolio. Is it a living record of my work, or is it something I plan to send to employers? I have also observed how several of the sample portfolios have favorite educational links, transforming the portfolio into a PLN (Personal Learning Network). One person even included a link to Delicious which contained more links, making the portfolio endless. I'm thinking down the road I may want my portfolio to evolve into a PLN, but for now the task seems daunting.

4 comments:

  1. I wondered the same thing about how many employers use these, Kara. I can't recall ever seeing a request for one. I also didn't know they were going on for so long. It was interesting to see that even some of the earlier ones used pretty sophisticated apps and could be impressive. I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I can start putting items in. Until then, I will have to take this huge process one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My question too Kara, is how much is enough? In the past I had created an E-portfolio at Stout with very strict guidelines. I am hoping for some guidance through this process as well, but maybe not as demanding as the Stout portfolio. I think we will all have more than enough artifacts from our course work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, I like your idea at the end of your post about turning the portfolio into evidence of your PLN. I've been trying to view my portfolio for ground zero for everything I do for both my professional and personal interests. I know for Stritch we are focusing on the professional side, but I can't help but notice that as my professional connections, interactions, and interests widen they are also interacting with my personal interests.

    I've been working, slowly, towards building a PLN for myself. It is this work that constantly reminds me of the interplay between personal and professional. I think this also helps with your question of what would an employer want to see. First, the portfolio doesn't need to be all about a future employer, it can be about you, your students, coworkers, students, parents etc... Second, if I were an employer I would really want to see a well rounded portfolio that not only shows many areas of interests, but that they are current and developing.

    This is what I've been telling myself as I think about the portfolio, it allows me to start small, make plans, and know it will grow as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kara!

    Thanks for the great links. I, too, am having difficulty envisioning my final portfolio. Because it is going to be an ever present work in progress, I know it is never really going to be "done." I know that will be a struggle for me.

    Finally, do you think that employers even look at portfolios? Perhaps I am just being cynical, but I am curious if they find them important enough to spend time looking at!

    ReplyDelete