Friday, May 21, 2010

Ced0565: Week Two - Data

This week brought together the two things that I had always assumed I hated most - data and data analysis. Typically when anyone places a page full of stats in front of my face, my eyes glaze over and I begin dreaming of happier, peaceful places where numbers don't matter and the beer is always cold. And then when I realized that I had to look at data from my school, I really thought I was going to suffer, but, once again, I was pleasantly disappointed.

Rather than study the stats from my small school - we really don't have much data to report, I decided to find out what I could about the Diocese in which I teach. Lately, there has been some changes made and those changes are trickling down to my level. On occasion I have been scratching my head, wondering what the heck is going on and why we're making these changes. After study some of the data, however, things are beginning to make sense.

Anyone who attends a Catholic parish which houses a school understands how vital the parish/school relationship is. In most cases the parish helps to support the finances of the school, alleviating a portion of the tuition cost in order to encourage families to send their children. There has been a decrease in enrollment, however, in our Diocese, and so we're beginning to feel the effects of this change. Having never looked at the actual numbers, I never realized just how drastic the changes were. Not only is enrollment declining, but the monies that support the schools are dwindling as well. There is a greater expectation of both teachers and administrators to pitch in and volunteer their time on major projects, such as curriculum development and standards. Until I looked at the data, I didn't understand why people weren't being hired for these tasks. Now I get it, although I don't necessarily agree with the method of enforcing the changes.

Now that I understand the data, I really want to find out how, as a mere teacher, I can use the models of leadership to do something? I'm not easily envisioning how the two items will mesh. I think I am trying to do my part by becoming a team member of the tech group that has been organized to develop new standards, beginning this summer. I also have been in constant communication with certain people at the Diocesan office and have collaborated numerous times with my principal to help develop our technology plan at school. But at what point do these leadership qualities we're supposed to strive for get in the way of other, equally important things, like my family? Where-o-where is the balance???

1 comment:

  1. Kara, I appreciate the situation you have found yourself in. You have finally found a solution using the data. You should be happy to know, right, information is power. Unfortunately, what you know is that things aren't going well for the school and dioceses, and that the solution is taking you beyond your comfort equilibrium of work and home.

    I have found this challenge in the last 2 years have I have started this program, become a more active member in our union, and taken on a greater role in committees and leadership in my building and my PLP group leadership. Sometimes I feel as though my pendulum has gone too far, and I'm not sure how to pull back from some commitments. I tried to, but I was unable to find individuals to take my place. Once I hit summer, I'm going to have to work out a change of priorities for the next year. I love my job and my school, but I have to tell myself occasionally, it is my job, not my life, not my family.

    ReplyDelete