Friday, June 4, 2010

Ced0565: Week Three

I liked this week's focus in particular because rather than center around the skills needed to be a leader, much of the material focused on various qualities of leadership and how all are important in some way. I used to think that on my team I would only want those who are "go-getters" and leaders themselves, but now thinking about it, I think I would need people whose qualities complimented mine, and I have to be honest and admit that being somewhat of an alpha, I would probably have a difficult time working with another alpha. I don't mind people who have great ideas and are assertive, but I have worked with those whose opinions only matter - people who tend to have the I-know-what's-best attitude, and it makes me crazy, to say the least. Thinking about the "Who Moved My Cheese" story, it's the Haw type of personality who makes me crazy. After awhile I get fed up with trying to convince someone that change is important. In fact, I've quit committees before because of these types of personalities. Contrary, I think I would rather work with enthusiastic people who aren't afraid of change. Of course, there's a downside to these types of people as well particularly those who are all mouth about change but then don't actually DO anything. Instead, they just blurt out all these tasks that should be done but then expect everyone else to do the actual labor. Those types make me equally crazy. In the end, we have no choice. Unfortunately, most of us don't get to pick our team and are stuck with all types of personalities. The key is to continue looking for ways to work with everyone ... or find better ways to avoid them. Hmmmm, I've done that as well.

2 comments:

  1. Working with people is always challenging and never boring. I think human nature is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment about having to find a way to work with others, or simply avoid them. There always seems to be one person in a meeting who likes to hear himself talk. And, everyone else in the meeting tunes out. There must be some sort of a remedy for this situation. Do you think talking to that offending person one-on-one would help?

    ReplyDelete